7.29.2012

Cartoon Painted Sliding Wood Door


Sliding wood door (with my preliminary sketch).
When my brother was installing new locks in the sliding glass door, he broke the panel of glass in the door. So we replaced it with a temporary sheet of wood, making a sliding wood door. I figured it was pretty ugly and I wanted to paint a mural on it. Since it's a lot taller than it is wide, I decided to make a mural of old cartoons with characters from ground level to cloud level (I was thinking sewer level at first for the Ninja Turtles, but figured ground was low enough).

I planned out all the characters I was going to draw, printed out some references, and then sketched everything in. In hindsight, it probably would have been good to paint a background layer in before I sketched everything out, but this was just for fun so my way worked ok.


For each character, I painted the colors of the characters using my pencil sketch as a guide. I just used acrylic paint that I had gotten for free a few years ago. So the cost of the project was nothing (plus my time)! Then after the paint dried, I used Sharpie to outline the characters so that it looked like the cartoons.
Chip & Dale before outline
Chip & Dale after outline


There were characters/things from 10 different shows total: My Little Pony, Care Bears, Tail Spin, Captain Planet, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Pinky and the Brain, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (the only one that's not a cartoon), Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner, Duck Tales, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It took me a couple months of painting one or two characters at a time (whenever I had a few free hours some day).
My Little Pony, a Care Bear, the Tail Spin Plane, and Captain Planet. I didn't know Captain Planet had a mullet until recently...

Wile E Coyote chasing the Roadrunner

Donatello (my brother's favorite Ninja Turtle)

ACME Labs, home of Pinky and the Brain

Scrooge McDuck finding a coin


The Megazord from Power Rangers! Made cartoonified to match and cause I couldn't find any detailed references.

No comments:

Post a Comment