9.11.2011

Kirby Keychain/Charm


This is the first time I've written down the pattern to something that I crocheted. I had made a Kirby cell phone charm a few years ago (if you couldn't tell, I like Kirby), and then my boyfriend wanted me to make him one. So I made this for my boyfriend, unlike the Hobbes which I didn't make for him, but we needed to say that for the sake of our reddit experiment (by the way, apparently stating that your girlfriend made something for you - or having "girlfriend" in the title - is worth more to reddit than being the creator of said thing... although the couple minutes of lag in my post might have factored into it too. And double posting in itself creates more views... too many variables to be able to experiment well. Interestingly enough, I got more traffic to this blog from my reddit post than from my boyfriend's).

Anyway, here's the pattern. It can probably use more tweaks to make it good, since I basically just went with what looked decent. I think with this pattern, the arms were a little big compared to the legs, but I didn't want to redo them. Everything is done in the round, starting with a magic circle, ending each round with a slip knot, and starting the next round with a chain before the first single crochet (sc). (Steps 8, 9, and 10 of this site explain what I'm talking about, but use one chain in step 10 instead of 3, since I'm using sc instead of dc). You can use another way to start, and you can do spiral instead of rows, but this is just how I made it because I had recently learned the magic circle from making amiguri.

Materials:
Yarn used - not really sure what this stuff is called, but it looks more like thick string (see pic below). Need some pink and some red (very little of each)
Crochet hook used - I think size 7/1.65 mm
some black thread for the eyes
some red thread for the mouth
some invisible (or pink) thread to sew the body together
a needle
some stuffing (cotton or fiberfill)
(optional) keychain ring or something to connect it to (this is what I used - or pink!)

The numbers in parentheses at the ends of each row are the numbers of stitches you should have.

Abbreviations:
sc - single crochet
inc - increment (do two sc's in the same stitch)
inv dec - invisible decrease (another thing I had just learned)
ch - chain

Kirby body - pink:
Row 1 - In magic loop, sc 6 (6)
Row 2 - (inc) x6 (12)
Row 3 - (sc, inc) x6 (18)
Row 4 - (2 sc, inc) x6 (24)
Rows 5-7 - sc 24 (24)
Row 8 - (sc 2, inv dec) x6 (18)
Row 9 - (sc, inv dec) x6 (12) Stuff with cotton here (you just need a pinch)
Row 10 (inv dec) x6 (6)
Slip stitch and tie off to finish, leaving a strand to tie to a keychain or phone charm connector or whatever else.

Kirby arms (make 2) - pink:
Row 1 - In magic loop, sc 6 (6)
Row 2 - (inc) x6 (12)
Row 3 - (sc 4, inv dec) x2 (10)
Slip stitch and fasten off.

Kirby legs (make 2) - red:
Row 1 - In  magic loop, sc 6 (6)
Row 2 - (inc) x6 (12)
Rows 3-4 - sc 12 (12)
Slip stitch and fasten off.

For the face, use a needle and black thread to sew the eyes (2 vertical lines), and red thread for the mouth (like a triangle shape with some more stitches). This is kinda difficult because he's so small and it's hard to get a needle back and forth, but it's doable. Make sure the strand of thread that you left to tie to the keychain is on the top of his head (unless you want him dangling upside down or sideways).

Using invisible or pink thread, sew the arms and legs to the side of the face/body. You don't need to stuff the arms or legs, since they're so small. You can "stuff" the arms and legs with the fastened off strands so you don't have to weave in the ends. I always do that when I make amiguri because I'm lazy. If you decide to scale up and use bigger yarn to make a slightly larger Kirby (I'm not sure how well this will scale, but it's probably doable), you'll probably want to stuff the limbs.

If you want this to be a keychain or something, use the strand from the body to tie him to a keyring or some sort of connector. I put him on a cell phone charm connector, but the yarn/string seems like a weak point. The one I made a few years ago broke at the strand, so maybe there's a better way to connect him (like actually crocheting the end onto a keyring before tying off), but I haven't figured that out yet. If you end up trying this pattern, let me know if you have a better way of connecting him to something!

So that was my first crochet pattern! I hope it's clear. Now for clarifying pictures! Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures while making it, but it should be simple enough.
The first one I made (broken). This one has a better face.

This is the type of yarn/string I used. Enough for a LOT of Kirbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment