11.29.2011

Darth Vader USB Drive


I saw this Darth Vader USB flash drive on the internet, and I wanted to get it for my dad (who likes Darth Vader a lot). But it's a little expensive, and I saw that when you uncap the drive, Darth Vader's head comes off! I thought it would be much more realistic if only his helmet came off. So I decided to make one myself out of polymer clay and an existing flash drive (it had a cover so I just needed to mold the Darth Vader around it).

I needed to make a hollow Darth Vader. I tried molding the clay around the flash drive, but it kept sticking on it, so I decided to try a different approach.

First I just made the figure (not hollow)
Then I cut him in half.



I hollowed out the inside so that the flash drive would fit.


I baked the pieces together, took the halves apart after they were baked, and then had to carve it down a little more to make the flash drive fit okay. Then I painted/colored the flash drive black (it was white) and glued it all together with white glue.

Then I just needed some finishing touches (painting his chest unit thing).
Darth Vader USB Flash Drive in action

No comments:

Post a Comment