9.18.2011

S'more Truffles and White Chocolate Raspberry Truffles


I wanted to get truffles, so I decided to make some. I made two types: s'more truffles and white chocolate raspberry truffles.

S'more Truffles:
I had leftover ganache from my s'more cupcakes (I ended up making the ganache in the recipe), so I decided to make truffles with it, since it looked like ganache and the inside of truffles have the same ingredients. I took the refrigerated ganache and rolled spoonfuls around 2 marshmallows each. Then I refrigerated them again, and then rolled them in graham cracker crumbs. The ganache was really soft, but rolling the balls in the graham cracker crumbs helped them keep their shape and they actually turned out pretty well!
Marshmallows with ganache rolled around them.
Completed s'more truffle


White Chocolate Raspberry Truffles:
(I made 12, but this recipe probably makes more.. I lost a bit of the filling when I messed up)
2 Tbsps heavy cream
~1 cup white chocolate chips
~7 tsps seedless raspberry jam
~1 cup chocolate chips - for the coating (I used some regular and some white and some white with food coloring - only needed one drop of red food coloring)

Raspberry white chocolate filling.
Filling rolled into balls.
Heat the heavy cream on a stove, and add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Add the raspberry jam and stir until it's mixed in. I removed it from the heat while I was mixing in this step. Then they need to cool enough so that the consistency is thick enough for it to keep its shape. This is where I messed up. I had the mixture in the fridge overnight, but it was sticky and soft still, so I remelted it (in the microwave) and added some more chocolate chips. Then I let it cool on a plate, since I read somewhere that cooling it in the fridge might not work. This time it was better. When it was the consistency of frosting, I piped it in balls onto wax paper and put that in the fridge. Then when they were colder and harder, I rolled them into balls with my hands and returned them to the fridge to get ready for the coating.

Coating the truffles in chocolate.
Melt the chocolate for the coating. I used a microwave for this. You can be all fancy and temper the chocolate (google that if you want), but I'm lazy and I like the microwave. So I just heated it (10 seconds at a time) and stirred it until it was dippable. If you want colored chocolate, add some food coloring to the white chocolate. Then take the truffle filling balls out of the fridge and dip them in the chocolate. I read somewhere to dip an ice cream scooper in chocolate and then roll the balls in that to get a nice even coating, so I tried that. Didn't work too well, so I ended up using little forks to hold the truffles and roll them around in the chocolate. Then put them back on wax paper. You can also drizzle some chocolate on top (different patterns). I used a spoon for this. It was rather difficult. Piping it might be easier. Put them back in the fridge.

Coated truffles w/out patterns.
I experimented with different patterns and colors of chocolate for the coating, since I was trying to make pretty truffles. This was my first time making truffles, so I wasn't quite sure how to make everything right. If you try, make sure you cool the filling long enough before you work on it! Also, your hands melt it, so work fast. And you probably have to heat the cream/chocolate the right amount so the fat doesn't separate.. but mine turned out okay even though I was messy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment